Sweet, crunchy, healthy and delicious! These easy apple chips are simple to make at home and you DON’T need a dehydrator!
I usually make apple chips in the fall when I want something sweet to snack on, but healthy, too!
This recipe has only 2 ingredients: apples & ground cinnamon! They’re baked, NOT fried, so they’re incredibly healthy. They’re also a great lunch box snack for kids!
What’s the best apple for apple chips?
I like sweet apples for this recipe, but just about any apple will do. Some varieties have more moisture than others, which will affect the baking time and the color of the chips after they’re baked.
How do you cut apple chips?
The thinner the slices, the crispier they become. Thick slices will not get crunchy, like chips should be! That’s why I always use a mandoline slicer to make them paper thin. If you don’t have one, you can just slice them with a sharp knife, but make sure you slice them as thinly as you possibly can.
How long does it take to make easy apple chips?
The key to making apple chips is to bake them slowly at a low temperature. I found that baking them at 250 °F / 120°C for about 2 – 2 ½ hours is ideal. Another factor that affects the baking time is the variety of apples you choose and how much moisture they have. Some varieties need more time in the oven.
Can I add anything to the apple slices before I bake them?
Sure! You can add some sugar or brown sugar, or you can try one of the following variations:
- Lightly sprinkle them with freshly grated nutmeg.
- Brush each slice with honey or maple syrup.
HOW TO MAKE EASY APPLE CHIPS
STEP 1: PREPARE YOUR APPLES
First, wash and dry your apples.
STEP 2: SLICE YOUR APPLES
Then, cut the top off the apples. After that, use a mandoline slicer, starting from the top, and carefully slice your apples as thinly as possible. By slicing them this way, each one will have a cute little “star” inside! You can core them if you like, but you won’t get the beautiful design in the middle!
STEP 3: PREPARE YOUR BAKING TRAY
After you slice your apples, line a baking tray with parchment paper and place each slice on it, making sure that the slices don’t overlap.
STEP 4: BAKE
Finally, sprinkle the slices with cinnamon and bake for about 2- 3 hours, flipping the slices over halfway. Turn off the oven when done and keep the chips inside. The slices will become crispier as they cool off.
How to serve apple chips
There are lots of ways to enjoy apple chips, depending on your mood.
If you want to stay healthy…
enjoy them straight out of the oven!
If you’re feeling more adventurous…
serve them with oatmeal or dip them in Greek yogurt topped with walnuts, raisins, and honey!
If you’re feeling naughty…
dip them in Nutella or pour some melted chocolate or caramel sauce over them (with a scoop or 2 of vanilla ice cream on the side)!
P.S. No matter what mood you’re in, these apple chips tend to disappear fast!
Please let me know how these easy apple chips turned out for you in the comments! I would love to hear from you!
Easy Apple Chips
- 2 medium apples
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 120°C / 250°F.
- Wash and dry the apples.
- Cut the top off the apples. Starting from the top, carefully slice your apples as
thin as possible using a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife. You can core them, if you like
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place each slice on it, making sure that the slices don’t overlap.
- Sprinkle the slices with cinnamon and bake for about 2- 3 hours, flipping the slices over halfway.
- Turn off the oven when done and keep the chips inside. The slices will become crispier as they cool off.
- Store them in an airtight container right away.
- Apple chips can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
- They are best the day they are made because they lose their crispiness as days pass. If they become soft, you can put them back in the oven at 100°C / 212°F, for about 15 -20 minutes and allow them to cool in the oven.