There’s nothing like a refreshing watermelon slushie on a hot summer day! This easy, healthy ice cold drink is a perfect way to beat the heat! And with only 2 ingredients, you’ll be making it all summer long!
Summer wouldn’t be summer without watermelons! They’re cool and refreshing on their own, but they also make AMAZING, thirst-quenching slushies.
This frosty, watermelon slushie recipe is pure summertime in a glass!
Slushies bring back a lot of memories from my childhood! I used to drink them all the time, but I never made my own. When I first made this slushie, I gulped it down so fast I got a brain freeze, just like when I was a kid! 🤪
You will love this recipe because:
- it’s healthy.
- it’s great for kids.
- there’s no added sugar.
- it’s refreshing.
- it’s SO easy to make.
- it’s DELICIOUS!!!
To make it, you only need some watermelon and a little water. That’s literally it!
It can’t get any easier than that!
If you want, of course, you could add a few other ingredients to kick it up a notch according to your preferences. Here are some ideas:
Sweetener: Depending on how ripe the watermelon is, you may not need to add any sweetener. But, if it’s not that sweet, you could add a little sugar, stevia, maple syrup, or honey.
Lemon/Lime: You could use a little bit of lemon or lime juice to add a little tang and enhance the flavor.
Mint: I love mint! You could blend a few leaves to the slushie to make it even more refreshing, if you like!
HOW TO FREEZE WATERMELON
1 Cut the watermelon into even-sized cubes and remove any seeds.
2 Place the watermelon cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3 Freeze for about 1-3 hours and then make the slushie or freeze overnight and make the slushie the next day. I prefer freezing it overnight.
HOW TO MAKE EASY HOMEMADE WATERMELON SLUSHIE
1 Put the frozen watermelon in a food processor (or a high-powered blender).
2 Add a splash of water and blend.
WATERMELON SLUSHIE VARIATIONS
Even though this slushie is great as is, there are lots of different variations you may want to try.
- You can use basil instead of mint. I think basil goes really well with watermelon.
- You can add some strawberries. I also think blueberries would be nice, too. Of course, it would be better if the berries were frozen, but fresh would also work.
- Coconut milk would give it a really nice tropical twist.
- For those who drink alcohol, a splash Ouzo would add a nice Greek touch. You could also add Vodka, white wine, or your favorite liquor.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- I have made this without freezing the watermelon, but it turned out more like a juice, rather than a slushie. For best results, freeze the watermelon overnight before you make the slushies.
- Start off by pulsing for about half a minute and continue until there aren’t any big chunks left, or it reaches the consistency you like. If it’s a bit too thick, you could add a little bit more water. You don’t want to overblend the mixture, though, otherwise it will end up too watery.
- It’s best served immediately.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
MORE SUMMER DESSERTS!
- Easy No-churn Vanilla Ice Cream (+ Secret Ingredient)
- Easy Strawberry Mint Sorbet – No Ice Cream Maker – Refined Sugar Free (+ Vegan Option)!
Let me know how this easy homemade watermelon slushie turned out for you in the comments below! I’d love to hear from you!
Easy Healthy Watermelon Slushie (2 Ingredients + Vegan)
- 2 cups watermelon, cubed
- about ½ cup water
- lemon/lime slices (optional)
- fresh mint sprigs (optional)
Freeze the watermelon
- Cut the watermelon into even-sized cubes and remove any seeds.
- Place the watermelon cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for about 1-3 hours or overnight. I usually freeze the cubes overnight.
Make the slushies
- Put the frozen watermelon cubes in a food processor (or a high-powered blender) and pulse for about half a minute, adding a splash of water. Continue until there aren’t any big chunks left, or it reaches the consistency you like, adding more water if necessary. Don't overblend.
- Serve immediately.
- If you like, garnish with lemon/lime slices and fresh mint sprigs.