This delicious homemade strawberry crunch topping is easy to make and can be used with all kinds of desserts! So pretty in pink and yummy!
This easy no bake strawberry crunch topping is great to have on lots of different desserts!
Delicious strawberry crumbles made with a few simple ingredients. It's an easy strawberry crunch recipe you'll love!
Why this recipe works
- It’s a no-bake recipe. No baking or cooking involved!
- It’s easy to make. This is such an easy recipe, it’s almost impossible to mess up!
- It only has 3 ingredients. Simple and convenient!
- It can be easily doubled. Great for when you want a really big batch!
- It would make a nice gift. Just put it in nice jars and add a pretty ribbon!
What does this strawberry crunch topping taste like?
This strawberry crunch topping reminds me of my favorite ice cream treat I would get from the ice cream truck as a kid! It tastes similar to the coating on strawberry shortcake ice cream bars! It’s sweet, crunchy and full of strawberry flavor.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Ingredients for strawberry crunch topping
- Vanilla crème cookies: I use plain vanilla sandwich crème cookies since they give that distinctive strawberry shortcake flavor! Golden Oreo cookies would also be an excellent choice!
- Dry gelatin powder: I use regular strawberry gelatin powder! You can use Jell-O, or other similar brands. If you want, you can use freeze dried strawberries.
- Butter: I use unsalted butter. If you prefer, you can use salted butter.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Step-by-step instructions for strawberry crunch topping.
Chop the cookies into crumbs. I prefer doing this rather than using a food processor because I can control how big I want the pieces to be. I think a food processor will make them too small. If, however, you prefer really fine crumbs, you can put the cookies in a food processor.
Add the cookie crumbs to a bowl and stir in the melted butter and gelatin powder. Stir it really well so that all the crumbs are coated. Crush any large pieces with the spoon.
Spread the topping on a tray evenly so that the butter dries. This takes about 10-15 minutes. Then store it in a jar or an airtight container.
RECIPE NOTES & RECOMMENDATIONS
Apart from eating this topping with a spoon straight out of the jar, there are so many ways to enjoy it! Here are a few ideas:
You can also use it to make a crunch cake. I think this topping would be amazing with a strawberry poke cake (maybe I should make one ?)!
I sometimes sprinkle some over Greek yogurt or fresh fruit. Apart from fresh strawberries, this topping is great with bananas, too!
This strawberry crunch topping is also nice over oatmeal!
You can store this strawberry crunch topping at room temperature for about a month, maybe a bit longer. It can also be stored in the freezer for about 3 months. If you put it in the freezer, you don’t need to thaw it at all as it doesn’t become rock hard. So it's still crunchy, even if you eat it straight from the freezer.
Spread the crumble on a tray and put in the freezer. Then after a couple of hours when the topping has frozen, put it in an air-tight freezer-safe container or a freezer bag.
- Instead of gelatin powder, you could use freeze-dried strawberries or strawberry powder.
- Or, you could also add a few strawberry wafers for a more intense strawberry flavor, although it will be a bit sweeter.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- For best results and freshness, I recommend consuming this topping within 2 weeks.
- Instead of chopping the cookies, you could crush them into crumbs by putting them in a Ziploc bag and whacking them with a rolling pin or meat pallet.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This recipe is comprised of 3 ingredients: vanilla sandwich cookies (like Golden Oreos), dry gelatin powder, and melted butter. It's basically a homemade strawberry crunch crumble.
Although I just keep it in a jar at room temperature, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 3 months.
MORE NO BAKE RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE!
Let me know how this strawberry crunch topping turns out for you in the comments below! I’d love to hear from you!
Strawberry Crunch Topping (Easy-No bake)
- 20 vanilla creme sandwich cookies
- ¼ (57 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 oz (85g) box strawberry gelatin powder
- Coarsely chop the cookies into crumbs.
- Add the cookie crumbs to a bowl and stir in the melted butter and gelatin powder. Stir it really well so that all the crumbs are coated. Crush any large pieces with the spoon.
- Spread the topping on a tray evenly so that the butter dries, about 10-15 minutes.