This vibrant virgin sunrise has a delicious blend of flavors! A gorgeous, non-alcoholic drink that's ready in just a few minutes!
This colorful, invigorating drink is has sweet and tangy fruity flavors and is incredibly easy to make at home.
I love making mocktails in the summer and I'm definitely planning on making more mocktail recipes! They're quick, easy and delicious!
This drink is a virgin tequila sunrise. It is a non alcoholic grenadine drink and was inspired by my virgin mojito recipe.
If you like non alcoholic cocktails with grenadine, you'll love this drink!
- WHAT IS A VIRGIN SUNRISE DRINK?
- What is grenadine syrup?
- Why you'll love this virgin sunrise
- What does this Virgin Sunrise taste like?
- WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Ingredients for Virgin Sunrise Mocktail
- HOW TO MAKE A VIRGIN SUNRISE
- Step-by-step Instructions
- RECIPE NOTES
- Storage Tips & Make-ahead options
- TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Related Recipes
WHAT IS A VIRGIN SUNRISE DRINK?
A virgin sunrise drink (aka sunset mocktail and tequila sunrise mocktail) is a non-alcoholic drink usually made with orange juice and grenadine syrup. Some recipes also include lemon-lime soda or soda water. The drink gets its name from the beautiful colors that look like a gorgeous sunset.
I really love grenadine mocktails because they're sweet with a wonderful, fruity flavor.
What is grenadine syrup?
Grenadine syrup is a simple syrup traditionally made from pomegranate juice and sugar. It has a gorgeous ruby red color and rich flavor. Nowadays, it's widely used in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
Why you'll love this virgin sunrise
- Non-alcoholic - Perfect for kids or anyone who doesn't drink alcohol, but still want to enjoy a delicious drink.
- Customizable - You can easily adjust the ingredients according to your taste preferences. You can also add a combination of different juices and garnishes to make a whole new mocktail.
- Elegant-looking - I love the colorful layers that bears resemblance to a beautiful sunrise, which is perfect for outdoor parties or events.
- Complete control of ingredients - This homemade virgin sunrise means you control what to include or not. No artificial colors or flavors, like store-bought mocktails. You could also use organic fruit to make it even healthier.
What does this Virgin Sunrise taste like?
This easy sunrise mocktail recipe is very refreshing! My version includes a blend of orange juice, grenadine syrup, and mint leaves.
It has a sweet, tart, and fruity flavor. A great summer sunrise mocktail!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Ingredients for Virgin Sunrise Mocktail
Oranges - I make freshly squeezed orange juice for more flavor and add a few orange slices to garnish the drink.
Grenadine - This is what gives it a nice red color at the bottom of the drink.
Ice - You'll need enough to fill a glass.
Mint - (not pictured above) This is totally optional, of course. I like really love how the drink looks with mint, both inside the glass and as a garnish.
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
HOW TO MAKE A VIRGIN SUNRISE
Fill a tall glass with ice and then pour the orange juice over it.
Then slowly pour the grenadine in the middle. This will help it settle at the bottom. Don't stir it, or the red color will blend with the orange juice and disappear.
Storage Tips & Make-ahead options
I always serve this drink immediately, but you could keep the orange juice in the fridge ahead of time. Then right before serving, add the ice to a glass, pour the orange juice, and then add the grenadine.
This virgin sunrise is great on its own, but here are a few variations if you're looking to jazz things up a bit.
- Peach Sunrise Mocktail - Add some peach juice or make a puree with fresh peaches and mix it with orange juice before adding grenadine syrup. Then garnish it with fresh peach slices or a sprig of mint for added freshness.
- Strawberry Sunrise Mocktail - This is another favorite variation of mine! I add a few fresh strawberries into the mix and muddle them with the orange juice before adding grenadine syrup. It has a wonderful sweet aroma and adds a nice berry boost.
- Make a Tropical Mocktail - Try adding pineapple juice or grapefruit juice for added zest. For a creamy texture, you could also add a splash of coconut milk.
- Make a real Tequila sunrise - Just add about 2 ounces (60ml) blanco tequila.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
Use high-quality ingredients. Fresh orange juice makes such a difference in flavor. Look for 100% natural juice without added sugar or preservatives, or make your own juice.
Chill your ingredients. For a more thirst-quenching drink, chill all your ingredients before mixing them.
Garnish with fresh fruit. Slices of fresh fruit on top of your drink will make it look incredible! There's nothing quite like an eye-catching summer-inspired drink!
Try to pour the grenadine over ice slowly so that the ruby red color stays on the bottom. Keep in mind that if you stir everything together, the red color will fade.
No! All you need is a tall glass!
Of course! This recipe uses freshly squeezed orange juice and it will give your drink an much fresher taste than bottled juice. It will also be healthier.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Let me know how this Virgin Sunrise turns out for you in the comments below! I'd love to hear from you!
- 1 cup (250 ml / 8 fl oz) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1-2 tablespoons grenadine (or according to your taste)
- mint leaves and orange slices for garnish (optional)
- Fill a tall glass with ice, leaving some space at the top to make room for the garnish.
- Pour the orange juice over the ice.
- Slowly pour the grenadine over the ice in the middle of the glass. Don't stir it, or the red color will blend with the orange juice and disappear.
- Garnish with mint leaves and orange slices, if desired.