SUGAR FREE WHOLE WHEAT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
These moist, fudgy cupcakes are delicious and healthier than your average cupcake! They are made with whole wheat flour and stevia and are topped with a decadent whipped chocolate ganache! Get your chocolate fix without feeling guilty!
For the whipped ganache
- 400 g (14 oz) good quality bittersweet/semisweet chocolate with stevia (or unsweetened chocolate), chopped
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) whipping cream
For the cupcakes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup (50 g / 2 oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup hot black strongly brewed coffee
- 1 cup (127 g / 4.5 oz) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (100 g / 3.5 oz) stevia powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
Make the ganache
Heat the whipping cream (but don’t boil) and pour it over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for about 2 minutes to melt the chocolate. Whisk the mixture until it’s smooth and the chocolate has melted. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for 2-3 hours, until the chocolate has thickened.**
Make the cupcakes
Whisk together the unsweetened cocoa with the black strongly brewed coffee until combined. Set aside.
Whisk together the whole wheat flour, stevia, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
Add the egg, buttermilk, and vegetable oil to the cocoa mixture and whisk until combined.
Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. The batter should be thin.
Fill the cupcake liners halfway.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool.
Make the whipped ganache
Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, whip the ganache for about 3-5 minutes, starting on medium speed and then increasing to high. Do not overmix.
Put into a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.***
* If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by putting 4 teaspoons of vinegar into a measuring cup and then adding enough milk to make ½ a cup. Let it stand for about 5 minutes before using.
** You could put the ganache in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes, but keep an eye on it every 5 minutes or so, because it can get firm really quickly. If it gets too firm, you won’t be able to whip it.
*** I used a Wilton 1M piping tip for the cupcakes in the pictures.
© Pastry Wishes