Streusel Top Apple Muffins (No Mixer)
These moist apple muffins are packed with juicy apples and topped with a crunchy brown sugar streusel topping! They’re really easy to make, too. Perfect for a fall breakfast with a hot cup of coffee!
For the muffins
- 2 cups (254 g / 9 oz) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar (100 g / 3.5 oz)
- ½ cup granulated white sugar (100 g / 3.5 oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup (80 ml / 2.7 fl oz) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (125 ml / 4 fl oz) milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium apples, (cored, peeled and cubed or cut into small pieces)
For the streusel topping
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar (50 g / 1.75 oz)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour (30 g / 1 oz)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons (30 g / 1 oz) cold butter
- a pinch of salt
Make the muffins
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together the brown and white sugar, the vanilla, and the spices. Add the milk, oil, and egg and mix until combined.
Mix the flour mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until just combined. Don’t overmix.
Gently fold in the chopped apples.
Fill the liners ¾ of the way full. Set aside.
Make the streusel topping
Put all the topping ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the mixture becomes crumbly. OR Add the topping ingredients to a small bowl and mash them together using a fork, pastry blender, or your fingers, until they resemble coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle the muffins with the topping.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing them to a wire rack for another 10 minutes to cool completely.
© Pastry Wishes
- These muffins spoil faster than regular muffins because they contain fresh fruit. If you don’t plan on eating them within a day or so, put them in the refrigerator in an airtight container or storage bag for up to 3 days. Keep in mind that once refrigerated, the streusel topping will begin to lose its crunchiness due to the moisture.
- You can easily reheat these muffins the next day. Just pop them in the oven (350 °F / 180 °C) for about 10 minutes.