EASY VEGAN CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
These vegan chocolate truffles are super rich and decadent! The best part is that they are SO EASY to make, using only 3 ingredients! Get ready to indulge yourself with these chocolaty, velvety, vegan, bite-sized goodies!
Servings 50 (approximately)
For the truffles
- 1 ⅓ cups (200 g / 7 oz) unsalted, raw cashews
- 400 g / 14 oz good quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup cold water
- unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-processed)
- shredded coconut
- chopped nuts
Place the chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl, preferably glass, and place it over a pot of just simmering water. Make sure the bowl DOES NOT TOUCH the water or it may burn the chocolate!
Stir the chocolate until melted. Remove the bowl from the pot and set aside to cool.
In a food processor or a blender, add the cashews and the water and blend until smooth and creamy.
Add the cashew mixture to the melted chocolate and gently mix with a spatula or a spoon until well combined.
Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
Wear gloves or dust your hands with unsweetened cocoa powder, if you don’t mind getting a bit messy! Using a teaspoon, take out a small amount of the mixture and roll into a small ball. Work quickly so the chocolate doesn’t melt.
If you wish, roll in unsweetened cocoa powder, shredded coconut, or chopped walnuts.
Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Melting the chocolate: By melting the chocolate over barely simmering water, you prevent the chocolate from burning, which tastes awful. This is another reason why I usually don’t melt chocolate in the microwave, either. It’s best to use a heat-proof glass bowl that fits nicely over a pot of simmering water so that you can see how the chocolate changes as it melts. This is really a fool-proof way of melting chocolate because you have better control over the heat. It’s worth the extra time and effort!
- Raw cashews: I used raw cashews because they have a very mild flavor that doesn’t interfere with the overall taste.
- Toppings: Other toppings can also be used, like powdered sugar, sprinkles, or crushed candy! The options are limitless!