Decadent Hot Chocolate Soup With Caramel Brioche Croutons
This creamy, luscious hot chocolate soup is delicious! It’s quick, easy, ultra-rich and served with caramel brioche croutons! It’s perfect for Valentine’s Day or any day!
Servings: 2 -3
For the Caramel Brioche Croutons
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup (100 g / 3.5 oz) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml / 2 fl oz) water
- 2-3 slices brioche bread, cubed
For the Soup
- ¾ cup (200 ml / 7 fl oz) milk
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon (150 ml / 5 fl oz) heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or whiskey
- 7 oz / 200 g dark chocolate (I use 72% couverture chocolate), finely chopped
Make the Caramel Brioche Croutons
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, sugar and water. Whisk until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
Allow the sugar mixture to boil until it turns a medium amber color, about 4 minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the brioche cubes, a handful at a time and stir to coat evenly.
Transfer to the lined baking sheet and quickly spread the croutons. Use 2 forks to separate them so they're not touching. Set aside to cool.
Make the Soup
In a medium saucepan, add the milk, cream, alcohol and cinnamon stick and simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
Discard the cinnamon stick and quickly stir in the chopped chocolate. Whisk until smooth. If you want a thinner consistency, add 1-2 tablespoons of milk.
caramel brioche croutons adapted from: https://www.marthastewart.com/345424/ice-cream-with-caramel-brioche
© Pastry Wishes
- This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for about 4 days.
- You can easily reheat any leftovers, just add a little milk (1 or 2 tablespoons) and stir over medium heat. Add more milk if you want a thinner consistency.