This easy carrot mug cake is a perfect dessert for one. It's fluffy, moist, perfectly spiced, and ready in less than 2 minutes.
This is one of my simple microwave dessert recipes that's a family favorite. If you love desserts in a mug, you'll love this carrot cake mug cake!
This fast, single serve carrot cake recipe is incredibly easy to make, too.
A simple, delicious microwave carrot cake in a cup. Just what you need for emergency cravings!
Love quick and easy desserts? Try my No Bake Peanut Butter Fudge, my Biscoff Pancakes, or my Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Balls.
- Why you’ll love this carrot mug cake
- What does this carrot mug cake taste like?
- WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Ingredients for carrot mug cake
- Equipment you’ll need
- HOW TO MAKE A CARROT MUG CAKE
- Step-by-step Instructions
- Recipe Notes
- Storage Tips
- VARIATIONS & ADD-INS
- TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- MORE MUG CAKE RECIPES:
Why you’ll love this carrot mug cake
I think you'll adore this microwave carrot cake in a mug! Here are a few reasons why:
- It's has a few ingredients. You probably already have these simple pantry ingredients.
- It's easy. This is one of the simplest single-serving desserts you can make. It's an easy carrot cake in a cup.
- It's eggless. I always make eggless mug cakes. I find that eggs make mug cakes a bit rubbery in texture.
- It's fast. This quick carrot cake is ready in less than 2 minutes.
- It's customizable. You can easily customize this recipe or make it vegan, too!
- It's so delicious. This carrot mug cake is incredible! A mini version of a carrot cake in a mug.
What does this carrot mug cake taste like?
This easy microwave carrot cake recipe is moist and fluffy, yet not too sweet. It is very similar to my classic carrot cake. The blend of shredded carrots and spices adds a comforting, warm flavor often attributed to regular carrot cake.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Ingredients for carrot mug cake
- Grated carrots: I use a box grater to shred them. You can shred them finely or coarsely. Avoid pre-shredded carrots because they tend to be very dry.
- Flour: I use all purpose flour.
- Baking powder: I use a little to give the mug cake some lift.
- Sugar: I use light brown sugar, but you can use granulated sugar.
- Spices: I use cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. The nutmeg is optional, but it's a nice addition to the cake.
- Milk: I use fresh whole milk, but you could use low-fat or non dairy milk, if you prefer.
- Oil: I use some light vegetable oil which really helps make the cake moist.
- Optional Ingredients: You can also add a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to enhance the flavors.
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
Equipment you’ll need
You only need a microwave safe mug for this recipe!
HOW TO MAKE A CARROT MUG CAKE
Stir everything together in a large mug, both wet and dry ingredients. I like to use a fork to remove any lumps in the batter.
Then microwave it!
I absolutely LOVE this mug cake with cream cheese frosting on top, but it's also delicious plain!
This carrot mug cake recipe is meant to be served immediately. I never store mug cakes for later.
VARIATIONS & ADD-INS
This easy carrot mug cake recipe is great on its own, but there are other ways to enjoy it, too! Here are a few ideas:
- Add some raisins or chopped nuts to the batter for more texture. Pecans and walnuts are perfect!
- It is absolutely delicious with some homemade vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream!
- I also love this mug cake with 1 or 2 tablespoons of maple syrup on top!
- Of course, it's so good with cream cheese frosting, too. You can use my recipe from my Red Velvet Brownies.
- Easily make it vegan by using plant-based milk!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Use microwave safe mugs and containers.
- Fill the mug about halfway so it doesn't overflow.
- Don't buy pre-shredded carrots as they can be really dry and the cake won't taste the same.
- Cooking times will vary depending on how many watts your microwave oven is. My microwave oven is 1000 watts and mine took 1 ½ minutes cook time.
I would just add some more shredded carrots and a little more cinnamon to add flavor.
The taste is quite similar, although there are a few differences in texture. Mug cakes aren't as dense as regular cakes, they're much fluffier.
Mug cakes will often get chewy if they are overcooked in the microwave. Overcooking can make mug cakes chewy and hard.
MORE MUG CAKE RECIPES:
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Let me know how this Carrot Mug Cake turns out for you in the comments below! I’d love to hear from you!
Carrot Mug Cake
- 1 microwave-safe mug (with a capacity of at least 7-8 oz / 200-300g)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2½ tablespoons freshly grated carrots
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Put everything into a mug and stir with a fork.
- Microwave it until the carrot cake is set. My microwave oven is 1000 watts and it took 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Let it cool for about a minute (it's very hot).
- Serve with your favorite toppings, if desired.
Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think: