Who can possibly resist gooey, fudgy brownies topped with creamy chocolate frosting? These mouthwatering vegan fudge brownies are rich, dense and seriously addictive!
If you’re a brownie fan, you’ll love these vegan fudge brownies – they never disappoint!
This recipe is SO easy. These are the best vegan brownies I’ve ever had!
You won’t find any unusual or hard-to-find ingredients, either.
They’re thick, super fudgy and rich without any butter, eggs, OR egg replacements!
WHAT MAKES THESE EASY VEGAN FUDGE BROWNIES STAND OUT
- Like my Classic Homemade Brownies, I use the blooming method to really bring out all the rich chocolate flavor! Basically, I add hot water to Dutch-processed cocoa powder to “bloom” it, which makes the chocolate even more intense! (You can read more about blooming here to learn more.)
- Another thing that makes these vegan brownies outstanding, is that I use BOTH melted chocolate and chocolate chunks in the batter. So, these are actually triple chocolate brownies: cocoa powder, melted chocolate and chocolate chunks!
- The addition of brown sugar gives them a subtle caramel overtone, which really pairs well with the dark chocolate!
These vegan fudge brownies are:
incredibly simple to make.
soft and chewy.
tried, tested & trusted.
What you’ll need:
Unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed) – Read about the differences here.
White, brown & powdered sugar
Dark/Bittersweet/Semisweet or Couverture chocolate
Optional: walnuts – I’ve made this recipe with and without walnuts and both work fine! Personally, I love them without walnuts, but I often make both to please everyone in the family!
How to melt chocolate without scorching it
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces.
- Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water so it doesn’t scorch the chocolate.
- Stir the chocolate until it melts.
- Alternatively, you could melt the chocolate in the microwave in short 10 second increments, stirring frequently.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do you store them?
I think they taste better cold, straight out of the fridge! Keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Can they be frozen?
Yes! You can keep these in the freezer for up to about 3 months. Just wrap each brownie square in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer-safe container. To thaw, just put them in the refrigerator overnight.
Can they be reheated?
Of course! I like to heat them in the microwave for a few seconds and serve them with ice cream and luscious homemade chocolate syrup!
HOW TO MAKE EASY HOMEMADE VEGAN FUDGE BROWNIES
- Melt half of the chocolate.
- Whisk together the hot water and the cocoa powder.
- Whisk together the oil, sugar, and salt.
- Add the melted chocolate and cocoa mixture and mix until combined.
5. Whisk together the flour and baking powder.
6. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and combine.
7. Fold in the remaining chocolate.
8. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Then bake!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
This recipe is practically foolproof! However, there are a few things you should consider to ensure the brownies come out great!
- Get the best quality chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder you can find; it makes such a difference. I personally love couverture chocolate because it’s a high-quality baking chocolate.
- Make sure you melt the chocolate properly.
- Measure the ingredients well, especially the flour. I use a digital scale to get consistent results each and every time.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Use the right brownie pan size. For these brownies, I used a 9 X 9 inch (23.5 X 23.5 cm) pan. If you have an 8 X 8 inch pan, the brownies will be a bit thicker, if you use a larger pan, they’ll be thinner. This will also affect the baking time.
- When you line your pan with parchment paper, make sure you leave about 2 – 2 ½ inches (5-6 cm) hanging over so you can just lift the whole pan of brownies out at once without breaking it.
- All ovens vary, so start checking the brownies after about 12 minutes. The longer you bake them, the drier they become. I personally prefer underbaking them a bit.
- Allow the brownies to cool COMPLETELY in the pan before cutting & frosting, otherwise they will fall apart.
- They taste even better after being in the refrigerator overnight!
I really hope you enjoy these brownies!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE RECIPES? You’ll love these:
- Sugar Free Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes
- Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Cheater’s Chocolate Mousse
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Ouzo-spiked Chocolate Orange Cake
Let me know how these easy homemade vegan fudge brownies turned out for you in the comments below! I’d love to hear from you!
Easy Homemade Vegan Fudge Brownies
- You'll need a 9 X 9 or 8 X 8 inch square pan ( 23.5 X 23.5 / 20 X 20 cm).
For the brownies
- 125 g (4.4 oz) dark/bittersweet/semisweet or couverture chocolate, chopped into small chunks (I use 72% dark chocolate)
- ½ cup (45 g / 1.6 oz ) unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
- ¾ cup (200 ml / 6 fl oz) hot water
- ¼ cup (65 ml / 2.3 fl oz) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (100 g / 3.5 oz) granulated white sugar
- ½ cup (100 g / 3.5oz) brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups (190 g / 6.7 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g (3.5 oz) walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
For the frosting
- ½ cup (113 g / 4 oz) vegan butter/margarine, at room temperature
- 1 cup (90 g / 3 oz) unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-processed)
- 2 cups (240 g / 8.5 oz) powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3-6 tablespoons almond/coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180 °C.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper. Make sure to leave about 2 – 2 ½ inches (5-6 cm) hanging over so you can just lift the whole pan of brownies out at once without breaking it. Set aside.
For the brownies
- Melt HALF of the chocolate chunks and reserve the other half. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the hot water and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar and salt. Add the melted chocolate and cocoa mixture and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the remaining chocolate chunks and walnuts (if using).
- Pour into prepared pan and spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs on it*.
- Let it cool COMPLETELY IN THE PAN, about 20 minutes. Then use the overhanging parchment paper to lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut into squares and frost if desired.
For the frosting
- Using a mixer, beat the vegan butter/margarine until creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, salt and 2 tablespoons of the almond/coconut milk. If you want a thicker consistency, add more powdered sugar. If you want a creamier consistency, add more almond/coconut milk. Spread over the cooled brownies.
- * All ovens vary, so start checking the brownies after about 12 minutes. The longer you bake them, the drier they become.
- Allow the brownies to cool COMPLETELY IN THE PAN before lifting them out of the pan and cutting them, so that they don't crumble apart.
- These brownies are super fudgy when stored in the refrigerator. They will keep for about 3 days at room temperature in an airtight container unfrosted, or in the refrigerator for about a week.