Who can possibly resist gooey, fudgy brownies topped with creamy chocolate frosting? These mouthwatering vegan fudge brownies are rich, dense and seriously addictive!
If you’re a brownie fan, you’ll love these vegan fudge brownies – they never disappoint!
This recipe is SO easy. You won’t find any unusual or hard-to-find ingredients, either.
These vegan fudge brownies are:
incredibly simple to make.
tried, tested & trusted.
What you’ll need:
Unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed) – Read about the differences here.
White, brown & powdered sugar
Bittersweet/Semisweet or Couverture chocolate
How to melt chocolate without scorching it
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces.
- Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water so it doesn’t scorch the chocolate.
- Stir the chocolate until it melts.
TIPS FOR MAKING THESE EASY VEGAN FUDGE BROWNIES
This recipe is practically foolproof! However, there are a few things you should consider to ensure the brownies come out great!
- Get the best quality chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder you can find; it makes such a difference. I personally love couverture chocolate because it’s a high-quality baking chocolate.
- Make sure you melt the chocolate properly.
- Measure the ingredients well, especially the flour. I use a digital scale to get consistent results each and every time.
- If you don’t want any chocolate chunks in your brownies, you can just melt all of the chocolate in the recipe and put it into the batter.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Use the right brownie pan size. For these brownies, I used a 9 X 9 inch (23.5 X 23.5 cm) pan. If you have an 8 X 8 inch pan, the brownies will be a bit thicker, if you use a larger pan, they’ll be thinner. This will also affect the baking time.
- When you line your pan with parchment paper, make sure you leave about 2 – 2 ½ inches (5-6 cm) hanging over so you can just lift the whole pan of brownies out at once without breaking it.
- All ovens vary, so start checking the brownies after about 20 minutes. The longer you bake them, the drier they become.
- Allow the brownies to cool COMPLETELY in the pan before cutting & frosting, otherwise they will fall apart.
I really hope you enjoy these Easy Vegan Fudge Brownies!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE RECIPES? You’ll love these:
- Sugar Free Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes
- Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Cheater’s Chocolate Mousse
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Ouzo-spiked Chocolate Orange Cake
Let me know how these vegan fudge brownies turned out for you in the comments below! I’d love to hear from you!
EASY VEGAN FUDGE BROWNIES
- You'll need a 9 X 9 or 8 X 8 inch square pan ( 23.5 X 23.5 / 20 X 20 cm).
For the brownies
- 1 cup (127 g / 5 oz) all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (45 g / 1.6 oz ) unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (75 g / 2.6 oz) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (75 g / 2.6 oz) brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup hot water
- 125 g (4.4 oz) bittersweet/semisweet or couverture chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- 100 g (3.5 oz) walnuts, roughly chopped
For the frosting
- ½ cup (113 g / 4 oz) vegan butter/margarine, at room temperature
- 1 cup (90 g / 3 oz) unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-processed)
- 2 cups (240 g / 8.5 oz) powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3-6 tablespoons almond/coconut milk
Prep the oven and the pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180 °C.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper. Make sure to leave about 2 – 2 ½ inches (5-6 cm) hanging over so you can just lift the whole pan of brownies out at once without breaking it. Set aside.
Melt the Chocolate
- Place half of chocolate chunks in a heat-proof bowl & set aside the other half. Place the heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water so it doesn’t scorch the chocolate. Stir the chocolate until it melts. Alternatively, you can melt all of the chocolate chunks, instead of half (* see NOTE below).
Make the Batter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated & brown sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Pour in the melted chocolate, vegetable oil, and hot water and whisk until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks and walnuts.
- Evenly spread the mixture in the baking pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean**.
- Let it cool COMPLETELY IN THE PAN. Then use the overhanging parchment paper to lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut into squares & frost if desired.
Make the frosting
- Using a mixer, beat the vegan butter/margarine until creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, salt and 2 tablespoons of the almond/coconut milk. If you want a thicker consistency, add more powdered sugar. If you want a creamier consistency, add more almond/coconut milk. Spread over the cooled brownies.
- * If you don't want to bite into chocolate chunks, you can melt all of the chocolate and put it into the batter.
- ** All ovens vary, so start checking the brownies after about 15 minutes. The longer you bake them, the drier they become.
- Allow the brownies to cool COMPLETELY IN THE PAN before lifting them out of the pan and cutting them, so that they don't crumble apart.